Hi there! Welcome Back! A lot of exciting things have been happening at the cabin. They've also happened in a relatively short period of time and I've slacked a bit with the blog so I'm cramming a lot of stuff into this post. Everything has been going smoothly with no major problems. We're very happy about that. So, here's a bunch of pictures with some explanations. I hope you enjoy.
|After the spray foam insulation was completed, sheetrock went up in the entire house (and has since been taped, spackled, sanded, and primed; and most of it painted). This is looking towards the dining area of the downstairs.|
|Upstairs hallway looking into the two bedrooms|
Another big thing that has happened is that the Board and Batten siding has gone on the house. Here are some pictures of different phases of that process.
|Here's a shot of the East and North sides with the boards (though not yet the battens).|
|The final board on the front side of the house is about to be installed. The pieces of wood trim you see at the top of each window are fastened at this point to secure the copper flashing and the rest of the trim was added later.|
|This is a close-up of the East wall with the battens installed on top of the boards. You can also get a better idea of how the window trim will look in this picture, though it is not yet painted.|
A few years ago, I found a small wood reclamation company in NJ on craigslist that was selling old reclaimed barn boards for an amazing price. The boards were in a pretty beat up condition -- the perfect look for the rustic wide plank flooring we had envisioned for the cabin. Me and a friend, Tom, who is a professional carpenter (and a great actor), took a trip out to NJ to look at the boards. We spent about 10 hours on one January day, in several inches of snow and temperatures in the 20's, sifting through a huge stack of boards for the purpose of picking out the best ones.
We were very lucky to be able to store the boards at our friends Tim and Pam's house in Upstate NY who have a huge quonset hut on their property. The flooring we now have in our cabin would not exist without Tom's guidance in picking out the best boards, and our friends Tim and Pam's generosity in letting us store the boards for three years.
|The stack of boards in our friends' quonset hut|
|The builders installing the flooring. |
|After the installation was complete, I spent about a half day sanding them with three different coarsenesses of sandpaper. Home Depot has good quality sanders you can rent by the hour for a decent price and they are very easy to use.|
|Then came the polyurethane! Wow, that really made the floors pop with rich character.|
|The weather was a bit muggy so it took around 36 hours for the first coat to dry, before applying the second coat. The rich amber color became even more intense after the second coat.|
One of the most rewarding parts of this whole process has been the building of the kitchen. My dad and I together built all of the cabinets. My parents live about three hours away in PA so we worked on the cabinets in about eight different two-day sessions in my parent's garage over the course of the past 16 months. I designed the cabinets but I have relatively little experience with that kind of wood working. My father, however, has quite a bit of experience working with wood and was the guiding force in the construction of the cabinets. It was very fun working with him on this. First, we purchased all the wood and made all necessary cuts. Then...
| Then, the assembly began. Note: we built all the boxes, facing strips, and drawers, but had the doors and drawer facings custom built as doors are hard to make without professional equipment.|
|My dad standing next to what will be the island counter|
|When construction of the cabinets were completed, we began priming them.|
|The finished product! Tracey and I knew we wanted something in the green family and Tracey found this "Kennebunkport Green" which we like very much!|
|Here, the soapstone countertop maker is making a template which he will use to cut the stone to size at his shop. He will be returning soon with the countertops ready for installation!|
The deck was built last week! The deck runs the length of the house (26') and is 12' deep.
|The first post going in. Holes for the post were dug 4' deep with a cement footing pad placed at the bottom.|
|All posts are in and sawed to correct height. Here, the front part of the deck is being set.|
|Perimeter framed out|
|My brothers, Rick and Tim on the newly completed deck. They were up for three days helping with the kitchen installation and a lot of painting. It was a great time!|
|Upstairs guest bedroom primed and ceiling painted.|
|Upstairs master bedroom primed and ceiling painted.|
|Downstairs living area painted beige.|
Well, I guess that'll do it for now. Thanks for taking the time to have a look at this rather lengthy post. The next post will probably be the final one as we are fairly close to completion. Very hard to believe. This whole summer has had a very surreal feel to it. Everything has happened so fast that it's often hard to process things as they are happening. All good, though. Very good.